Zucchini bread oatmeal is a delicious and filling breakfast, full of healthy ingredients to help start your day right!
Bulk Ingredients used: oatmeal, pecans, raisins
Probably one of the most popular ways to use up extra zucchini from the garden is to make a tasty loaf of zucchini bread. This recipe draws on the same flavors--warm cinnamon and bright happy zucchini.
Another great thing about this recipe is the mix in possibilities. Just like zucchini bread, this oatmeal is great with pecans or raisins stirred in. If you want to boost the fiber, antioxidants and protein, mix in some chia or flax seeds.
And of course, what’s the best way to eat zucchini bread? With a big ole pat of butter on top! The same is true for this oatmeal. Once you’ve put your oatmeal into bowls, let a pat of butter melt on top. Mmm, trust me, you will be in breakfast heaven.
Tips for Making Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- For this recipe you can either use water or milk, I’ve made it with both, and honestly can't taste the difference. The benefits of using water is that it lowers the calorie count of the recipe. Milk on the other hand, will add more vitamins and minerals.
- When making this recipe, I like to use the finest size grater I have to grate the zucchini.
- Some great things to mix into this recipe include: pecans, raisins, chia seed, or flax seeds. Just simply add any of these ingredients in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Zucchini bread oatmeal is already pretty creamy, so I don't usually add extra milk on top, but you are welcome to do so. Just don't forget to add the pat of butter on top while serving!
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk (or water)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a small pot, add milk, oatmeal, spices and zucchini. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add in any desired mix-ins (except for the butter) and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until oatmeal is soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour oatmeal into serving bowl and top with a teaspoon of butter, and a little more brown sugar and milk if desired.
I hate to say this recipe was "unhealified," but basically this recipe was unhealified from Oh She Glows.