Black Bean and Zucchini Rice Skillet is full of healthy, vegetarian ingredients. This easy bean dinner is made in just one pot, and in under 20 minutes. Healthy ✅ Easy ✅ Fast ✅. The skillet recipe is a win-win-win!
Sometimes when you're looking for a cheap and easy dinner, you have to sacrifice taste or nutrition. Not with this simple recipe. It's packed with healthy ingredients, like beans, zucchini, and rice. Flavored with garlic, oregano, and thyme, it's not lacking flavor.
Oh, and the best part? It's all made in just one skillet. Wahoo! Only one dish to clean!
Plus, the whole thing comes together in just about 20 minutes. It's a perfect weeknight dinner.
- Bell pepper
- Black beans
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Garlic powder
- Instant white rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Black beans are an ingredient you can find in the bulk section of your grocery store. I highly recommend using fresh beans over canned any time you can. They are less expensive and taste SO MUCH BETTER!
I usually make a big batch either on the stove or in the Instant Pot and then freeze them in 1 ½ cup portions, which is the size of a can of beans.
You can use fresh or canned black beans in this recipe.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté onions, peppers, and zucchini for about 5 mins.
- Add drained beans, undrained tomatoes, water, and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice and stir well. Cover and cook on the lowest heat setting possible for 7 mins. Stir halfway through to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom.
- Once the rice is soft, sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper individual servings to taste.
- Regular rice can also be used instead of Minute Rice. Once again, however, this will significantly increase your cooking time. Regular rice will take about 20 mins to soften, while Minute rice takes seven minutes. You can also substitute for brown rice, which will take at least 30 mins to simmer.
- This is a very versatile recipe so make it according to your taste. You could add different veggies in, like carrots or mushrooms. Change up this recipe with the seasoning you use. We love Thyme and oregano in it, but Cumin and Chili Powder would be delicious too. I always love a great tex-mex skillet recipe! Get creative and add your favorite flavors.
I used Very Well Fit's Recipe Analyzer to create this nutrition label.
This recipe is great because it is low in calories, but still has a decent amount of protein per serving. It also has a significant amount of iron and calcium in in. This recipe is gluten-free. It is not allowed on the Whole30 or Keto diet because of the beans.
Black Bean and Zuchinni Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1¼ cup water (or vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ cup instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté onions, peppers and zucchini for about 5 mins.
- Add drained beans, undrained tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice and stir well. Cover and cook on the lowest heat setting possible for 7 mins. Stir half way through to prevent rice burning on the bottom.
- Once rice is soft, sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper individual servings to taste.
Recipe adapted from Ready Set Eat
Here are somethings you might need for this recipe. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifing orders at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting the Incredible Bulks!