Black Bean and Zucchini Rice Skillet is full of healthy, vegetarian ingredients. Made in just one pot and in under 20 minutes, it’s a win-win-win!
Bulk Items Used: Black Beans and Rice
Sometimes when you’re looking for a cheap and easy dinner, you have to sacrifice taste or nutrition. Not with this simple recipe. It’s packed with healthy veggies and seasonings. It’s a simple vegetarian dish that only takes 20 mins to make.
Oh, and the best part? It’s all made in just one skillet. Wahoo! Only one dish to clean!
Tips for Making Black Bean and Zucchini Rice Skillet
- I always use a can of black beans in this recipe, mainly for the ease, but dried black beans can be substituted. They will just need to be soaked and cooked before being added. A can of black beans has about 1 and 3/4 cups of beans in it. So you’ll need to cook a heaping 1/2 cup of dried beans.
- Regular rice can also be used instead of Minute Rice. Once again, however, this will significantly increase your cooking time. Regular rice will take about 20 mins to soften, while Minute rice takes seven minutes. You can also substitute for brown rice, which will take at least 30 mins to simmer.
- This is a very versatile recipe so make it according to your taste. You could add different veggies in, like carrots or mushrooms. Change up this recipe with the seasoning you use. We love Thyme and oregano in it, but Cumin and Chili Powder would be delicious too. Get creative and add your favorite flavors.
Black Bean and Zuchinni Rice Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1¼ cup water (or vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 ½ cup instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté onions, peppers and zucchini for about 5 mins.
- Add drained beans, undrained tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice and stir well. Cover and cook on the lowest heat setting possible for 7 mins. Stir half way through to prevent rice burning on the bottom.
- Once rice is soft, sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper individual servings to taste.
Recipe adapted from Ready Set Eat