Gourmet salted chocolate rice krispie treats feel fancy, but are so easy to make! Make them next time you're looking for a posh dessert, but don't want to spend a lot of time and effort.
Fact: I am a huge Spice Girls fan. And I just used the word "posh" to describe these rice krispie treats. So....
Colors of the world, (spice up your krispies)
People of the world, (spice up your krispies)
Every boy and every girl (spice up your krispies) ahhhh, hold tight!
Yo! I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.
So tell me what you want, what you really really want.
I wanna—, I wanna—, I wanna—, I wanna—, I wanna really, really, really wanna eat these krispies up
I need some chocolate like I never needed it before
(wanna add it to my krispies)
I had a little bite now I'm back for more
(wanna eat the whole pan baby)
Ok, I need to stop. But seriously guys, these rice krispies are the best. I love how easy they are to make, but taste like some real effort went into them. Make them for your next party or gathering, because, trust me, it's dangerous to have a whole pan of these lying around in your kitchen.
- Usually, when making rice krispie treats, I use one big pot to melt the butter and marshmallows and then add the cereal in and mix it up. I hate doing an extra dish just as much as you do, but for this recipe, you'll want to use a saucepan to melt the butter/marshmallows, and another big bowl for mixing the cereal, salt, and chocolate chips. This is because we don't want the chocolate to completely melt throughout the cereal. Having a burst of chocolate here and there makes these taste so much more exciting to eat.
- You can make these in either a 9x13 inch pan or a 9x9 inch pan. It just depends on how many squares you want, or how think you want your krispies. Obviously, you'll get more squares out of a 9x13, but they will be thinner than if you use a 9x9. I prefer a 9x9 inch pan.
- Use a piece of parchment paper to help you press the mixture into your pan really hard. The more you press, the better. This will help the krispies stay better together. The parchment paper will keep the rice krispies from sticking to your fingers.
I hope you like these posh rice krispies. Girl Power!
P.S. Bonus points if you can tell me what songs I was referencing!
Salted Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup butter
- 10 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more for sprinkling on top
- Lightly spray either a 9x9 or 9x13 inch pan* with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cereal, chocolate chips and sea salt.
- In a pot on the stove, melt butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add the entire bag of marshmallows. Stir occasionally until marshmallows are completely melted too.
- Pour melted marshmallow butter over the cereal combination. Stir until just combined. (The more stirring, the more the chocolate will melt. You want to preserve as much of the whole chocolate chips as possible.
- Pour rice krispies into prepared pan. Use a piece of parchment paper to press the mixture into the pan. The more pressing the better! Lightly sprinkle the top of the krispies with additional sea salt. Allow to cool in pan for 1 hour before slicing into squares. (if you can wait that long! cooling allows the krispies to solidify into bars, but they are delicious warm and gooey if you can't wait).
This recipe looks incredible! I love to make chocolate rice crisps but never made them gourmet like this before!
These looks delicious!
Elizabeth Newman says
Wow, these look amazing.
OMG I can't wait to try these! I love Rice Krispies treats but the chocolate just bumps them up another level!