So soft, so chewy, so perfectly spiced, these cookies scream fall flavors. You’ll love Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins.
Bulk Items Used: Oatmeal, Raisins, Chocolate Chips, Flour, Sugar, Spices
I think we can all agree that there is something magical about fall. All around us the world is changing colors, kids are (usually) going back to school, and it’s time start dreaming up Halloween costumes!
The other great thing about fall is all the comforting flavors associated with it. On the savory side of autumn we start using lots of sage and thyme, while the sweet side is full of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. And since it’s finally cool enough to turn our ovens on again, we’ve got to embrace fall baking!
Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins are truly the perfect fall cookie. They are full of all those warm spices, as well as oatmeal and raisins. Made unlike most cookies, the result is very soft and chewy. Unlike most, these cookies have no butter or eggs in them. Instead, oil and sugar, as well as raisins and baking soda are boiled together and added to a spiced flour mixture.
The next time you get a cookie craving on a autumn afternoon, try these bad boys out. You will not be disappointed!
Tips for Making Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins
- Traditional cookie recipes begin by beating butter and sugar together, but this is not the case with this recipe. Instead, oil, sugar, raisins and baking soda are boiled together. Doing this will help the cookies have structure and stay moist. Also, boiling the raisins help diffuse their flavor throughout the cookies.
- The finished cookie dough will also be unlike most cookie dough. It will be a lot wetter and more like brownie batter.
- The original recipe does not call for chocolate chips, but since chocolate makes everything better, I like to add it in. However, the cookie dough will be too warm for chocolate chips. If you try to stir them into the cookie dough, they will melt throughout the cookies. Instead, add chocolate chips to individual cookies by pressing them into the individual dough balls that have already been scooped out onto cookie sheets.
I hope these cookies bring you autumn feels!
Spiced Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 12 oz bag chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° Prepare cookie sheets by either lining them with a baking mat, parchment paper, or by lightly greasing.
- With a wooden spoon, mix flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, water, oil and baking soda and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Pour hot mixture into flour mixture. Stir until completely combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough onto prepared cookies sheet. Cookies will spread, so leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Store in an air tight container.