All American Black Bean burgers are an easy and tasty vegetarian meal. Made with special toppings, this is truly the best black bean burger ever! You’ll love this meatless meal.
Bulk Items Used: black beans, bread crumbs
For some reason, whenever I go swimming, I always crave a cheeseburger afterward. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because both of these activities are so quintessentially summer that I think they have to go together. The weird thing, however, is that I don’t like hamburger. For years my craving went unsatisfied, until one day I had my first black bean burger and suddenly….
So if you are a vegetarian, trying to eat less meat, or just looking for a really delicious new recipe, you are going to love these black bean burgers! They are really easy and fast recipe to make. Over the years I’ve experimented with different types of cheese and toppings, and guys, this is pretty much the tastiest black bean burger you’ll find!
Tips for Making All American Black Bean Burgers
- These burgers can be made with either canned or dry black beans that you’ve cooked. Canned black beans will certainly be faster to use, but cooked beans are a lot easier to mash up. I recommend cooking 1 cup of dry beans (which will make 3 cups of cooked beans) in your instant pot for this recipe. They’ll be nice and soft and ready for mushing!
- The best part of these burgers is that you can cook them in 3 different ways: on the stove, on a griddle or on the grill. I think the easiest ways are either the grill or the griddle because you can cook all the burger patties at the same time. You can find specific instructions for each method in the recipe card.
- Another great thing about these burgers is that they can be frozen. If you want to do this, simply transfer the bean mixture to a freezer friendly container. When you’re ready to eat, just defrost and form the patties and you’re ready to go!
- You gotta trust me on this one, White American Cheese picked up from the deli counter is the BEST cheese on these burgers. I can also sometimes find Deluxe White American Cheese in the cheese section of the grocery store. This type of cheesy just gets deliciously gooey like no other cheese out there.
- Bread and Butter pickles are also a must for this burger. One time we were out of Dill pickles so we tried Bread and Butter pickles. It was exactly the flavor needed to make these burgers over the top delicious.
Black Bean Burger
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Deli Style White American Cheese
- Hamburger Buns
- butter for spreading on buns
- olive oil for frying
- onion slices
- bread and butter pickles
- In a large bowl, use a potato masher to mash the black beans up. It's ok if a few beans remain whole, but the more smashing the better. (It may be easier to work in batches).
- Add in the breadcrumbs, onions, egg, garlic powder and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Using a large spoon, or your hands, thoroughly mix all of these ingredients into the mashed beans. Form the mixture into patties that are about the size of the buns you are using. (These patties do not shrink when cooked).
- Preheat the oven to Broil.
Burgers can be cooked in 3 different ways
- On the Stovetop: Add a little olive oil to a pan and heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in the oil and cook for 5 minutes before flipping. Once the patties have been flipped, immediately add the cheese on top and cook for another 5 minutes. Patties will need to be cooked in batches.
- On the Griddle: Spray the griddle with non-stick cooking spray and add the patties. They should all be able to fit in one batch. Cook patties for 5 minutes and then flip. Add cheese on top and cook for another 5 minutes.
- On the Grill:
- While the burgers are cooking, open the buns and butter the inside of both the top and bottom. Place buns on a cookie sheet and broil in the oven until toasted and golden.
- Place a bean burger on a toasted bun and add lettuce, onion and bread and butter pickles. Add ketchup and mustard to the top of the bun and add it to the burger. Enjoy!