These sausage stuffed zucchini boats are brimming with sausage and veggies in an easy tomato sauce, and of course, covered in cheese. You’ll love this tasty low carb meal!
Growing up, we always had zucchini growing in the garden. And inevitably, we forgot to keep up on the picking and one or two of the zucchini’s would grow to be as big as a log. When this happened, my mom would always cut it in half, hollow it out and fill it with a delicious sausage mixture.
When I moved away from home, I’d sometimes crave that giant baked zucchini, but guess what, they don’t sell thigh sized zucchini in the store. Turns out, however, that regular sized zucchini works just as well. In fact, it’s even better. Those giant zucchini’s always were a little tough. 😬
Tips for Making Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- You’ll need to cut the zucchini in half, length wise for this recipe. Then use a spoon to gently scrape out the seedy center of each boat. You’ll still want to keep most of the zucchini meat, however.
- My favorite way to eat these is with sausage, but regular hamburger works too. Ground turkey or shredded chicken could also be used. Want to make it vegetarian? How about some black beans.
You can also substitute the veggies for whatever type you have on hand. You can also experiment with different types of cheese. This recipe is great because you can easily make it to suit your personal preferences or what you have ready in your fridge.
P.S. While writing this post, I spelled “zucchini” wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME. 🤦♀️
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchini
- 1 tbsp butter
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- ½ pound sausage
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with tin foil for easy cleanup.
- Trim the ends off of the zucchini and slice each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scrape out the seeded center, leaving most of the zucchini intact. Divide the tbsp of butter into 8 parts, placing a small pat into each hallowed out zucchini. Season each boat with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- While zucchini is baking, crumble and brown the sausage in a large pan on the stove. When the sausage is almost done, add in the veggies and saute until they are tender. Pour in the tomato sauce and stir to distribute. Season with ½ tsp of garlic powder. Keep warm on the stove until zucchini is done.
- When the zucchini is done, pull it out of the oven and fill each boat with a heaping scoop of the sausage and veggie mixture. Sprinkle the top of each boat with cheese. Put the zucchini boats back into the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!