Sausage, mushrooms and rice combine with savory seasonings-garlic, thyme and oregano-to create an easy 30 minute meal and cozy dinner.
Have you ever wondered if using a different type of rice actually makes a difference in a recipe? I mean--long grain, short grain, jasmine, basmati-- does it even matter? I am here to tell you YES! it really can make a difference. And today's recipe proves that.
I have been making this recipe for YEARS. It's one of the only dinners that all of my children consistently like. And for all of those years I just used regular old rice, whatever kind was the cheapest in the bulk bins. But last time I was in the bulk section, I was feeling a little wild and decided to try another kind of rice. Just to see if it made a difference. After reading all the different names, I settled on trying pearl rice. Mainly because I like pearls. Legit reasoning.
That night I made Sausage and Mushroom Rice the same way I always do, but with the pearl rice instead. It was somehow 5x more delicious than ever before. Even my (loving, awesome, supportive) oblivious to the world around him, husband remarked that the dish seemed extra good that night.
What is Pearl Rice?
So it turns out that pearl rice is actually the type of rice that is used in sushi. It is often called sushi rice, or sticky rice. It is usually short rice, and as its other name suggests, gets very sticky. If you want the rice to be less sticky, you can rinse it a few times to remove some of the excess starch on the surface of the grains. But I didn't know any of this when I tried it the first time.
To make the pearl rice, I followed this awesome Failproof Instant Pot Rice tutorial. It turned out perfect!
Using it in Sausage and Mushroom Rice
Using Pearl Rice in the Sausage and Mushroom Rice recipe resulted in a softer, creamier texture than regular long-grain white rice. The recipe is a very quick and easy dinner to make. Basically, you make the rice in one pot, saute all the other ingredients in a skillet and then mix them together.
- I always start the rice first. That way, it is finishing up right as I am ready to mix it in with the other ingredients.
- Pearl Rice made this dish awesome, but I have made it many, many times with regular white rice and everyone enjoyed it then too. You can use either.
- I use chicken broth instead of water when cooking the rice to give it more flavor.
- I buy the pre-sliced mushrooms at the store to make the prep even faster and easier. I've tried both white mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms. They both work great, and taste the same to me.
- I add the sausage to the pan and break it up before turning on the heat. That way the meat cooks more evenly and quicker.
This dish goes great with green beans or peas. I think it would even make an awesome Thanksgiving side dish. It feels like a fall afternoon or a cozy winter night. Go share it with someone who loves autumn!
Sausage and Mushroom Rice
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 16 oz Mushrooms, sliced white or baby bella
- 16 oz pork sausage roll regular flavor
- 2 cups pearl (sushi) rice white rice is ok too
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the rice using your favorite method of cooking rice. (See notes)
- Dice the onion.
- Crumble sausage in a non-stick skillet and cook over medium high heat. When the sausage is brown, add in diced onions and mushrooms. Continue to saute until mushrooms and onions are soft.
- Add the garlic, thyme and oregano to the skillet and saute for 1 more minute. Keep warm on low heat until rice is completely cooked.
- In a large bowl, or in the instant pot if using, mix the sausage and vegetables together with the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Can't find Sushi Rice at the Store? Get it online!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting The Incredible Bulks!