Monte Cristo Sandwiches like you've never had them before! Ham and Turkey sandwiches rolled in rice krispies, baked to perfection and dipped in strawberry sauce. It sounds weird, but trust me, you've got to try it!
A list of food combinations that are that are weird, but good:
- Fried chicken and waffles
- French fries dipped in chocolate ice cream
- Salt on apples or watermelon
- Chocolate and bacon
- Strawberries dipped in sour cream with brown sugar
- Peanut butter and cheese (according to my husband)
- Monte Cristo Sandwiches
You might be thinking, "Wait, what!? Monte Cristo's aren't weird." I know that these are fairly common things, and the way they are usually made doesn't make them seem weird. However, the way my mom made them when I was growing up was weird. It was weird, but delicious. So I'm sharing it with you today.
If you've never had one before, a regular Monte Cristo Sandwich is the marriage of french toast to a ham and cheese sandwich. You take ham, cheese and sometimes turkey and place it between 2 pieces of bread and then dip it in an egg batter and pan fry or grill it. Some people even get crazy and deep fry it.
The way we always ate them growing up started a little like this. My mom would put ham, turkey and swiss between 2 slices of bread, roll it in an egg batter and then roll it in Rice Crispies (what?!). Then she would bake them in the oven until the outside was golden and crispy, but the inside would be all melty deliciousness.
But it didn't stop there. For the final weird, but delicious element, these sandwiches were then served with a dip. A strawberry sour cream dip (remember, that's another weird but good combo). Oh, and one last thing, the sandwiches have to be cut in triangles!
You might be hesitant to try these, but trust me, I've made them for A LOT of people and I've never met anyone who didn't like them. It's the perfect combination of sweet and savory, crunchy and creamy. You simply have to try it!
Tips for Making Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- Use your favorite white bread. I know, whole wheat bread is healthier and you can use it for this recipe if you want. If you are going for maximum deliciousness, however, I recommend using the fluffiest whitest bread you can find.
- Make an assembly line. The easiest (and cleanest!) way to make Monte Cristos is make all of the sandwiches first, then one by one move them through the egg mixture and the cereal, finally putting them on their baking sheet.
- These sandwiches make great leftovers. Warm or cold, these taste great the next day.
Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 12 slices favorite white sandwich bread
- 12 slices favorite deli ham
- 12 slices favorite deli turkey
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 box Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350° Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour onto a plate. Pour a large amount of the rice krispies onto another plate.
- Make sandwiches by placing 2 slices of ham, 2 slices of turkey and 1 slice of Swiss cheese between bread slices.
- Dip each side of the sandwiches in the egg mixture, followed by the rice krispies. Press the cereal into the bread to stick on if needed. Place dipped sandwiches on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 mins, then flip the sandwiches and bake for another 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the sandwiches are cooling, mix the sour cream and strawberry jam together in a bowl.
- To serve, cut each sandwich on the diagonal, making 2 large triangles. Sandwiches should be served with a side of strawberry sauce for dipping.