Lemon, dill and feta gives this barley salad a fresh and mediterranean taste. Barley is a whole grain, which makes this salad healthy and filling. Use it as a side dish or eat it for lunch.
Bulk Item used: Barley
I keep reading about how barley is great in salads, but I'd never had it before. Since Greek food is my favorite, I decided to venture into the barley salad world Mediterranean style. And oh boy! It is good!
Tips for Making Mediterranean Barley Salad
- I recommend using Pearl barley for this recipe. It is a lot easier to come across in stores and cooks a lot quicker than other types of barley. For a full run down of the different types and uses of barley, check out "A Complete Guide to Cooking with Barley."
- Check out "How to Cook Barley in the Instant Pot" to see the quickest and easiest way to cook your barley. Once the barley is cooked, this recipe is cooked, this recipe can be made in 10 minutes or less.
- Get creative with the recipe! Add more veggies--think red peppers, mushrooms or olives. Add more protein-grilled chicken or white beans. Substitute the fresh dill for fresh basil, oregano or parley. Or do a combo of both. Even the Barley could be substituted with rice, quinoa or orzo pasta. Let me know what you come up with in the comments!
This salad is very versatile and can be adapted to taste. Make it for your next lunch, potluck, or dinner side!
Can't Get Barley at the Store? Buy it online!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, with no cost to you. Thanks for supporting The Incredible Bulks.
Mediterranean Barley Salad
- 1 cucumber, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ⅓ cup sliced purple onion
- ½ cup feta cheese plus more for garnishing
- 1 ½ cup cooked barley
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill (or 2 teaspoon dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and dill.
- Chop all veggies and combine in a large bowl. Add the barley and feta cheese. Pour olive oil combination over the top and stir to evenly mix. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish individual servings with more feta cheese if desired.