Using the Instant Pot is my favorite way to cook the perfect quinoa. I love that you can just set it and forget it, and it comes out soft and fluffy every time! Learn some awesome tips for success in this post.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Check out “How to Cook the Perfect Quinoa-Stove Method”
I have a confession. I was about 3 years behind in the Instant Pot craze. Everyone was raving about how amazing they were, but I was skeptical. I was pretty sure that it would just be another large appliance taking up space in my kitchen.
Finally, at the end of 2019, I received an Instant Pot as a gift. And well,
I wanted to call up everyone I knew and tell them how amazing the Instant Pot was. The only problem, they all already had one and had been using one for years.
So, if you are one of those lucky and smart people who have an Instant Pot in your life, let me teach you how to make quinoa in it. Because (of course) it is amazingly easy and fast.
But first, some general tips on cooking quinoa:
TIPS FOR COOKING PERFECT QUINOA
- The first and most important thing to do when cooking quinoa is to rinse it in water first. Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and run it under cold water for about a minute. Each quinoa grain is naturally coated in a chemical called Saponin. This is created by the plant to naturally ward off bugs. Great, I hate bugs. But it doesn’t taste very good. I’ve actually read many blog articles about how rinsing isn’t actually necessary. They mention that most of the times the quinoa has already been washed or that the saponin doesn’t actually taste that bad. As a person who has tried both–I would recommend rinsing it first. It is fast and easy. Don’t take the risk of ruining your whole dish with bitter tasting quinoa.
- Spray the pot that you are cooking quinoa in with non-stick cooking spray . Quinoa is sticky, by spraying the pot you will avoid a layer of quinoa stuck to the bottom of your pot.
- Adding seasoning to quinoa is easy and fun! If you want your quinoa to be flavored, simply add seasonings in with your water. Using broth, instead of water, can give quinoa a more savory flavor. Cumin and garlic are great if you are using it in a Mexican dish. Think about how you’ll use the quinoa and extra flavor would be delicious.
- When cooking on the stove, the water ratio is 1.25 parts water to 1 parts quinoa. For example: 1 cup of quinoa would need 1 1/4 cups of water. This is different than if you were cooking quinoa on the stove.
- When quinoa is done, you will see little rings around each grain.
How to Cook Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Using a fine sieve, rinse the quinoa under running water for about a minute.
- Spray the instant pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add in a ratio of 1:25 to 1 of water and quinoa. Ex: 1 1/4 cups water, 1 cup quinoa
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn to seal.
- Pressure cook on High for 1 minute.
- Let the Instant pot naturally release the pressure for 12 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Looking for Some Quinoa Recipes to Try? Check these out!
Want to learn more about Quinoa? Check out “What is Quinoa?”
Having trouble finding Quinoa at your grocery store? Buy it online!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, with no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Incredible Bulks!
How to Cook the Perfect Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- 1 ¼ Cup Water
- 1 cup Quinoa
- Using a fine sieve, rinse the quinoa under running water for about a minute. Spray the instant pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the water and quinoa to the Instant pot. Close and seal the lid.
- Pressure Cook on High for 1 minute. Naturally release the pressure for 12 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!